Medical Student Clerkships
Urology Student Links
The Department of Urology offers two elective clerkships for third to fourth-year medical students:
Urology 7200 provides the basic principles of urology you are likely to see and encounter in a general medical practice. Register for either a two- or four-week block in this rotation.
Adult urology training sites
If you elect adult urology for UROL 7200, you will spend time at the following training sites:
If you elect a two-week block for adult urology, you will select to train at one site. If you elect a four-week block, you will select two sites to train at.
Our elective clerkship provides intense exposure to the specialty.
Your advanced three-week rotation will take place at either the VA Medical Center or the University of Minnesota Medical Center. Both sites will expose you to operative and non-operative management of all major urologic diseases, including:
- Male and female voiding dysfunction
- Male sexual dysfunction
- Stone disease
Through this clerkship, you function as an active, integral member of our healthcare team as you:
- Have intern-like inpatient management responsibilities
- Are exposed to multiple minimally invasive techniques such as robotic and laparoscopic surgery
- Participate in weekly conferences
- Actively participate in operating room activities, including laparoscopic surgical techniques
- Learn and demonstrate some basic urologic surgical techniques and approaches